Sunday, July 25, 2010

Need advice on building dog run / cage please?

I have a lab and indoor cats and just bought a new house. Ultimately I want my animals to be SAFE and secure but the dog needs to be able to get out on his own to potty during the day. I plan to put a doggy door in a wall where the animals can come and go in and out at will. I would like to build a dog run /cage that attaches to the house so once the animals use the door they enter into this secure cage. I would like to make this out of some nice hard rubber mesh or metal with hard rubber coating to it doesn鈥檛 heat up or rust easily. It will be fully secured so nobody can easily steal the animals. I was planning on building it 6 inches off the ground where I can put trays under it to catch the waste for easy cleaning. Our friend build a very nice run for his cats out of the same mesh he uses for lobster traps but not sure where to find it. The run will be 4 feet deep by 15 long and 5 high. Any ideas, recommendations would be appreciated.Need advice on building dog run / cage please?
I went the easy way with 6x10 ft chainlink panels from the farm store. No rust in 3+ years. Ours is 10x20x6. 5 ft tall is a pain in the neck and back to clean, unless you're very short.





By ';lab';, I assume you mean labrador retreiver. Ours is a digger, so I buried 1 ft sq concrete tiles around the perimeter inside the run in the grassy area (ours is half on concrete, half on grass -- we're in a rainy climate. There is a gated division between the two halves for the rainy season.





Our system is similar to:http://www.hooverfence.com/kennel/custom鈥?/a>





Check your local farm stores for fence panels.





ps: cats dig, too, and will dig under a fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment