Saturday, July 31, 2010

I want to be a good dancer (not professional). Have any tips or advice?

I'm 14 and do ballet and contemporary dancing, but I've only started being serious about dance this year. I want to be more fit , strong, graceful, lean and slim like a dancer. Have any advice? Should I do more dance classes? Any advice would be great including health and diet and fitness. Thank you!I want to be a good dancer (not professional). Have any tips or advice?
In general: the more classes (and therefore the more experience) the better. It depends on your scedule. Don't take on more than you can handle, especially as you're at an age where school work is probably about to get that extra bit harder and larger in volume.


A none commital thing to do would be to buy some DVDs, sure it can't go on your CV but they will make a difference to your fitness and flexibility etc. 'Pump it Up' for example is a killer but is great for your fitness and stamina and for a general tone up. Pilates are great, (you could get a book instead), as a dancer they do not build up bulk for on stage, (see Darcey Bussell). There are loads out there, so find one that suits you. In the school term I get up early and do a warm up off one.


Something that might work for you and I am doing a lot more now is; as you already have experience, make up your own workouts using what works for you. I have a load of cards of exercises/stretches that target different areas of the body.


Find a way of keeping fit you enjoy and are likely to keep going at. Just make sure that you don't overdue it.


Hopefully you'll find something useful in all that, good luck!I want to be a good dancer (not professional). Have any tips or advice?
I'd say if you are getting more serious about then you Should take more classes. It feels wonderful doesn't it? I love dance. I took dance classes every year and I'll tell you I didn't need any exercise programs or things like that. Dance will keep you fit and strong. Dance is a huge part of my life and my heart. Dancing will keep you slim and make you strong don't worry.


Of course you should always eat right no matter what. But I don't typically get into diet regimens, we all know the typical routine: not too much sugars, fats, or salts, blah blah...
Dancing is my job, and I work in a contemporary company. Many of the people I work with now or in the past have started much later than you, and have a natural aptitude for it. Someone I trained with started when he was 26 and is now working in a full time company! I made the decision to be a professional dancer at your age and trained in both ballet and contemporary. The only other thing that may help you is some sort of gymnastic/acrobatic training (it's a great tool to have for dance). Don't worry about your weight. You're young! And I think that too much pressure is put on dancers to be stick thin. BORING. If you want to be a contemporary dancer then be yourself, NOT what you think other people expect of you. Being yourself is what will get you jobs in the end...Good luck!
u should believe in yourself and work hard. try to make goals for yourself. also try not to eat alot of junk food.
I'm a dancer. I'm only 13 but I am very strict with myself. I dtretch twice a day, and paractice three times a day. I drink three glasses of milk each day and I eat two apples a day. I don't eat junk food unless its a special occasion. In the summmer I sort of slip a little with junk food like I eat one ice cream every week in the summmer. Advice would be do my routine, it works for me, I'm in a high jazz, pointe and ballet class. My tap class works differently though. I think you should take two ballet classes. You might become proffessional soon.
Taking more classes will off course help you, but if you don't have time for it, you can start with the stretching every day. take a look at this site...:


http://www.drillobsession.com





Hope that helped:)
I wouldn't take a lot of classes yet. But make sure you do some kind of stretching every day and a little bit of warming up before stretching. Just make sure you have fun. Dance isn't all serious. But I would try different styles. Have fun!


~


E
Well you should work at it take more classes what ever you can do. You should get plenty of exercize and eat plenty of good foods so you can stay lean.

No comments:

Post a Comment