Sunday, July 25, 2010

I would like some advice on hobble training?

I have a couple of youngsters and they are good about having their feet handled. What is a good age to teach them this? Any safety pointers (for the horse and I) would be appreciated. Thanks!I would like some advice on hobble training?
That is hard for me to explain. LOL So I went looking for a site that I think explains it well. I hope it helps some.








http://www.gaitedhorses.net/Articles/Hob鈥?/a>I would like some advice on hobble training?
my safety tip...





dont use a hobble. Had some bad stuff happen before.
There are a couple of ways of doing this. One way is to have a halter on them at least with a long line attached then hobble them, and then push them so they hit the hobbles, and as they fight them keep telling them whoa. It works wonders, but it can be a little interesting.





You can also take a lunge line and make a loop out of the end and wrap it around the horses front foot. Then take the lunge line and make them pick up the foot, and get them used to that, then run the lunge line around the horn of the saddle, for more leverage, and hold it there. Repeat on the other side till the horse is comfortable with the rope around its feet, and having the feet being taken away, then try the hobble.





Hobbles serve a purpose. I know of horses that were trained to be hobbled, and the owners called and thanked us for training them this because the horse got caught in a barbed wire fence and when the wire wrapped around its legs, instead of fighting the fence, it stood like a statue.





You could also, go to google and type in hobble training, and I am sure there will more detailed discriptions of it.
As said, Craig Cameron ; or Clinton Anderson or Ken McNabb. Good luck.
Hey girl,





I would start training at 3, once their knees are closed. I start with one foot hobbles and then attach cotton lead to it and work with the horse on taking legs away etc, in a confined environment.
Hi-I've training horses my whole life pretty much. I never liked the hobbling idea until- Until, I worked for an old man on his ranch in CA.He showed me a hobble I never knew-Get yourself a big burlap bag(if you can find one)Cut yourself a good 6 inch strip, longwise-O.K, there's the front feet, put the burlap in between the feet, bring it back around to the front %26amp; tie it,(not in a knot) IF, for some reason, a problem does arise,if they kick, it pretty much just come undone.
Feet handling is one thing but hobbles are another.


A horse has to be very well -trained/ broke and prepared for hobble breaking. It is not for green horses.


The biggest saftey pointer is if you have never hobble trained before, then have someone who has help you.


You and the horse can get seriously hurt.


How old are your horses?





I would definitely wait until they are much older and have more patience and attention spans. Look up Craig Cameron. He has great advice for hobble training and other tips as well.
THAT IS ANIMAL ABUSE HOW IS THAT FOR TRAINING DOnt use them for training people come on

No comments:

Post a Comment