Thursday, July 29, 2010

Do you have any effective advice as to how I can get my professors to know me better personally?

I've tried going to office hours and asking for help after class, but the problem is that although they can recognize me by face, the professors still don't know me personally, my name, or the kind of student i am, all of which would help enormously during recommendations and personal references.Do you have any effective advice as to how I can get my professors to know me better personally?
Sleep with them.Do you have any effective advice as to how I can get my professors to know me better personally?
I can only guess that you're talking about huge lecture courses. Otherwise it sounds like your profs don't care to know you better personally. There's not much you can do in that case.





Try taking some smaller classes. Honors courses are good for that, or ones that meet at 8 or 9 a.m. In a class of 10-25 students, most profs will know everyone's name within a week. Participate a lot in class, do good work, go to office hours, ask questions that go beyond what you need to know for the exam to show you're genuinely interested in the subject. If you know you will definitely want a letter of recommendation from one of them, don't be afraid to ask them and set up an appointment with them to talk about it face-to-face even if they also want a CV and other info from you.
1. Work your butt off and get good grades. Stellar work makes people remember you.





2. Participate when you have something to say- an interesting question or information you found in the reading. Make it topical, though, don't just talk for the sake of it.





3. Go to office hours with specific questions and issues- not just to show your face.





4. Are you in your major? If not yet, that will present a chance to get to know the faculty in your department and take smaller classes. You'll be able to study with them on a closer level and get to know them.





Frosh and sophomore years are all about lectures and finding what you like, so don't worry if it takes a little more time to get to know the faculty. If you are already in the major, register for seminars and keep working hard.
show interest and be a regular so they remember you..


or you could bring them an apple everyday... and if they are really special you give them a caramel covered apple with nuts.


thanx betch
eat lunch with them
You have had some good advice. Let me add 2 things.





Try to sign up for several classes from a good professor or 3 in your major and minor . You will not need recommendations from all of your profs; they tend to remember you better when you take a 2nd or 3rd class.





I really got to know my professors in the biology department because I did outstanding work my freshman year and was asked to be a lab assistant instructor for my remaining years in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment