Saturday, July 31, 2010

I am moving to country, any advice on how to train my dog not to run away without a fence?

My dog has been a suburban dog, fenced yard, walks on leash. Moving to house with over 20 acres, closest major road is over 1 mile. Would like to let him roam but concerned he may get lost. Any advice on transitioning him to area?I am moving to country, any advice on how to train my dog not to run away without a fence?
Wow...This is a toughy..


My dog is also a suburban dog, fenced yard, walks on a leash...


My bf is a farmer, he has about 900 acres...I spend the night there once or twice a week and, ofcourse, I take my dog with me..


My bf doesn't allow dogs in his house so Angus stays outside with my bf's 4 dogs...I haven't lost him yet, but there has been trouble..


My bf got his newest dog from a lady that kept the poor dog in a garage for 2 years...One night, shortly after he got her, I spent the night there and a goat ended up getting out of her pen and the dogs killed it...I'm sure that my dog had something to do with it but I can't be absultely certain...I was devistated..He loves to chase things and in the heat of ';pack mentality'; I'm almost certain that he was in on it..





I don't worry about him running off while he's there because he suffers a bit from seperation anxiety and I know he wouldn't want to get too far from me, but I do worry about the other..


The fact that he gets to run free though makes me feel really happy for him.. :-)





The absolute worse thing in the world that you can do to a dog is put him on a chain...Please don't even entertain that thought...





I have a feeling that your dog is going to be just fine in the country...Zillions of dogs are in the country and stay put..Give it a try...And please just try not to worry so much.. :-)





I'd like to add...Get your dog microchipped if you haven't already...That will help to ease your mind that if he does wander too far, he'll eventually be found...And make sure he always wears his collar and tags with your contactphone numbers and your vet...This will also put you more at ease and make him safer.. :-)I am moving to country, any advice on how to train my dog not to run away without a fence?
That all depends on the dog. I would never let my dogs roam unless I was right there watching them. You need to teach your dogs to have a great recall command. Even so, that will only work if you're there to put it into effect. I suggest you still get a fence of some sort.
And you aren't putting up a fence BECAUSE? You must not care for your dog much if you plan on letting him roam the countryside. People in the country have livestock and will shoot a stray dog. PUT UP A FENCE! I too live in the country and would NEVER allow my dogs to roam the area.
first thing is you have to watch him n tell him his limits show him he can not go to far do this for a week n maybe your dog will get it if not buy an electric dog fence

No comments:

Post a Comment