Thursday, July 29, 2010

I am picking my baby up a lot and I have severe pain between my shoulders just below my neck. Any advice?

I am suffering from pain just below my neck. By the end of the day I cannot move my neck. Any advise? Maybe a good exercise that can help?


Anyone else has the same problem after having a baby?I am picking my baby up a lot and I have severe pain between my shoulders just below my neck. Any advice?
try a heating pad, a heat patch or some rub, and advil or two and a rubdown from hubby....your body will adjust, just be careful so you don't over do it.I am picking my baby up a lot and I have severe pain between my shoulders just below my neck. Any advice?
I don't have a baby but I have shoulder and neck pain a lot frequently too. Just try and stretched those muscles out. Stand up straight, tilt your head to one side and slowly roll your head around to your other shoulder. If you have pain at any certain point keep your head still until the pain goes away and then continue moving your head around.





You can check out videos on youtube. Do a search of ';chair massages';. There are videos on their on how to give yourself a neck massage. If all else fails go to a massage therapist, I've heard that they really help (I'm trying to get up enough nerve to go myself)
Roll your shoulders in as wide of circles as you can backwards for about 1 minute. Then do forwards. You could do it for just a little while throughout the day. Another thing that helps is taking a hot bath and keeping your neck under the water. If the bath is really hot that helps even more but you can't stay in as long so it's up to you. These two things will help I promise.





But there are also simple neck stretches you can do. Put you right hand on your head then pull your head forward and to the right. Hold for 15-20 seconds. Then switch and do the left side. When you do the left side you are stretching the right back side of the neck and vice versa. This one doesn't target the exact area but it's good to put your right or left hand on your head and pull lightly to the right or left. It's like leaning your head to side but with the weight of your arm.





DO SHOULDER CIRCLES!


STRETCH YOUR NECK BY PULLING YOUR HEAD FORWARD TO EACH SIDE!


ROTATE YOUR HEAD AROUND IN CIRCLES!


STRETCH YOUR ARM ACROSS YOUR CHEST!





good luck.
Alot of great answers. Another big help would be to see your local chiropractor. One adjustment and you'll probably be back to normal.





He/she may also better advise you on stretching and lifting positions.





My chiropractor also recommends the neck pillow here: http://www.tractionneckpillow.com





This neck pillow will give some pain relief as well as prevent future neck and upper back problems.
A couple of ideas: Be careful of your body mechanics when you pick up the baby... if you are putting your neck in an awkward position that will worsen your strain.


2. Stretch your neck gently, frequently.


3. Try acupuncture to help relax the muscles or chiropractic if you feel the bones are out of alignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment