Saturday, August 21, 2010

Does anyone have advice on picking a therapist?

I am looking for a therapist for several issues I am dealing with. I have never gone to a therapist before and I was wondering if anyone has any advice for my first meeting with the therapist, or on how I should narrow down my search. I have heard that there are certain questions you should ask the therapist on your fist appointment?Does anyone have advice on picking a therapist?
first thing is: are you looking for behavioral therapy or talk therapy?





also, what types of problems do they specialize in...


how comfortable you are talking to this person, how healthy their comments are towards you





they will be asking you questions and you will be doing most of the talking usually during first sessions. personally, i always hated when they only listen every session and dont give input. sometimes its just trial and error :/





good luckDoes anyone have advice on picking a therapist?
Be wise in your choice.
nope...no certain questions.





first figure out if you want a woman or a man...young or old. you may not know yet.





next...decide if you want a talking session or somethign a bit more holistic having to do with religion ect.





lastly...when you go in...try at least 3 sessions, and if somethign doesnt feel right or your not connecting...you let them know its nto wokring and why...then ask if they know anyone else that you think mgiht better suit your needs. also some therapists might specialize or have more experience in certain things.





my experieces...i worked with two young women (i, myself am a young woman) and that made me feel awkward and liek i was being judged by a peer. talking to an older religious lady i hated...becuase i dont liek meditation adn religion...i dont believe god and prayer can make my life better. i went through about 4 therapists until i found rob who is a middle aged man with kids slightly younger than i am. he is laid back and knows alot about self injury (my main problem) and is open to reading books and sharing them with me and vice versa. i have made leaps and bounds with this man and i am glad i found him. its like shopping for a doctor or gyno or soemthign liek that...you can always change...and they wont care...all tehy want is for you to get better.
Choose someone who you feel comfortable with. I had one who was supposely the best in the city, but I felt like I couldn't let my guard down to tell her everything.


So I went with a lady closer to my age who was more like me, and shes worked wonders with me!


Good luck!
I have the same problem.....luckily Im still in school and I asked a very sweet counselor there for some help choosing an outside counselor and were looking. Im not sure if your in high school or not? But if you are go to your counselor, you dont have to tell him/her your issues but just say you need there advice on the best outside counselor they know. But if your not in school, theres a website called Psychologytoday.com and that has a zip code where you type in yours and it gives you counselors in your area with facts about the counselors themselves. Good luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment