Saturday, August 21, 2010

I need the advice of an experienced auto technician?

I am replacing the intake gaskets in my 1995 Olds cutlass ciera. I am trying to spend as less money as possible on this car and would like to know if it is okay to use the same intake bolts when reassembling the lower and upper intakes?





I have had the car since 38,000 miles and they have never been removed.I need the advice of an experienced auto technician?
I don't see why not, I reused my intake bolts when I rebuilt my engine and its fine. Some people might be worried about the bolts stretching but theses aren't headstuds, they don't hold nearly as much load as headstuds so you should be fine reusing them.I need the advice of an experienced auto technician?
It is recommended that they be replaced as they are ';torque to yield'; bolts. The new intake gasket set if bought by GM has the new bolts in the kit. Reusing the same bolts is not a good idea, because for one, they are stretched out and risk of snapping is greater, two, they have a sealer on the threads, but the more you tighten them, the more they will stretch. GM re-designed the lower intake bolts so they will not loosen up.


Also, very important, make sure you don't mix up the push rods if this is a 3.1 0r 3.4 engine, they are 2 different lengths and mixing them up you ';WILL'; bend valves.


Do the job right the first time, there is no cutting corners.
Well, Ive been a mechanic for 2 years... I wouldn't suggest it, but If it was my car, and trying to save, then I would keep them. Make sure to clean them with a strong cleaner, clean the surface where the gasket is going VERY well, and you should be good with the intake. Also, before you assemble the upper intake, Its plastic, so while you have it off, look to see if there is any cracks or corrosion. Remember, if you removed the fuel injectors, Buy new o-rings!
You're fine, just don't over or under tighten them. Follow the torque specs and procedure and you'll be fine. I've got 100,000 miles on the intake gaskets i did on my car. I used the old ones, no problem. But, what is that one guy talkin' about... push rods. Sounds like for a gm tech, you are doing way more work than you are getting paid for!!! I've been an auto mechanic for 20 plus years and i've never even looked under the valve covers when doing an intake gasket. You probably remove the radiator when replacing an alternator on a north-star engine, like the SI 2000 says to, don't you?? Good luck buddy!
they should be fine just use some a Little bit of anti seize on them wont hurt if you got new ones but you ll be fine with the old one and also what are your chances of having to replace that gasket again
Reusing them is just fine. THey are NOT head bolts, and do little more than hold the pieces together.
yes..they will be fine..the only bolts you should never re-use are stretch bolts..these go between the cylinder head and block.
google it

No comments:

Post a Comment