Thursday, August 19, 2010

Can I get some advice on getting a Gecko?

I'm a 24 yr old living in a flat with friends. I've been wanting to get a Gecko for a few years now, but never felt it would have enough of my time or space. Things have changed recently, and I've been thinking about it again. Could somebody give me an overview of the responsibilities that come with having a Gecko? and whether you'd advise them as a pet?Can I get some advice on getting a Gecko?
Hello; I highly recommend certain species of Gecko as pets. Each one has different care needs, so you would care for a Tokay Gecko differently than you would a Leaf-tail Gecko, and so on. I'd say the best beginner's species are Leopard Geckos, Crested Geckos, Viper Geckos, or African Fat-tailed Geckos. All are small, hardy, low/medium upkeep, interesting looking, and fine with gentle, confident handling. :)





Here are individual care sheets for all of the Gecko species I just named:





Leopard Gecko:


http://www.thegeckospot.com/shortleocare鈥?/a>





Crested Gecko:


http://www.pangeareptile.com/id52.htm





Viper Gecko:


http://www.acmecritters.com/CARE_SHEETS.鈥?/a>





African Fat-tailed Gecko:


http://www.acmecritters.com/CARE_SHEETS.鈥?/a>





As far as responsibilities go; you'll need to feed them every day/every couple of days, clean out their cage about once per month, provide a secure enclosure of a proper size, keep their water dish full, keep their heat and humidity levels where they are supposed to be, and hold/play with it as often as you'd like. Really; they aren't all that high maintenance, and I say that if you have been wanting one of these guys for years and you think you can provide a good home for one; go for it. ;)





I hope this helps, and if you have any further questions at all on the subject; please feel free to message me and I will be more than happy to assist you. :)





Good luck!Can I get some advice on getting a Gecko?
I personally LOVE my leopard gecko.





I just got a baby 2 weeks ago. I am in college full time and living with a bunch of housemates, so I was hesitant. But as soon as I got her, I knew I didn't make a mistake!





A baby is a little more work than a sub-adult or adult so keep that in mind. Besides that, they just need crickets dropped in their cage, water, and the proper cage. Handling is optional, and they are great for it. They really require much less than any other pet I have had, including my very mean and aloof cat, which says a lot.
leopard geckos are awsome , dont need much space , dont bite if handled well , shed easly , eat a simple diet , crickets and mealworns, there clean , need only a heating pad ...... GO GET YOUR LEO
  • make up
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment