Monday, August 23, 2010

Should you give practical advice to a younger co-worker who keeps screwing up their life?

Should I dispense wisdom and practicality to a much younger co-worker, who keeps making the same mistakes I made as a kid? Or should I butt out and let them live their own life, hoping they will learn from their painful mistakes? I want to say something, yet I don't want to preach. What is the proper way to go about this? Thanks in advance.Should you give practical advice to a younger co-worker who keeps screwing up their life?
Since this is a co-worker, I say no. Your co-worker could resent it and it would become an uncomfortable work environment.





However, if you consider this person a friend, then you might be able to broach the subject depending on the circumstances. Tread lightly when dispensing advice and back off at the first indication that the advice is not well-received.Should you give practical advice to a younger co-worker who keeps screwing up their life?
i would maybe say '' look, your heading for a fall if you continue down this path, maybe try to straighten out and see a therapist ok ? '' - then i would straighten my tie and pat their back and wish them a '' nice day ''.





if they ignored this and continued anyway at least i tried my best.
Honestly, don't give unsolicited advice. Most see it as very annoying.





However, if the co-worker asks, you can offer words of wisdom, as long as it is done in a non-judgmental manner.
yes, older people should help guide the young
I have been there several times and done both. It depends on the maturity level. Some people just have to learn on their own, and some take the advise to heart. I would just give examples if you really want to say something, I.E. the same thing happened when I was around your age...etc...
b-u-t-t is a censorship worthy word?





On to the subject...if you're not being asked for advice, don't offer it. And think of it this way: would you know what you know now if you hadn't done what you did back then?
No, not unless they ask for it.
Never give advice unless specifically asked to do so...
give he/she the advice, a pray that it will sink in. If it doesn't then let be, they have to grow up sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment