Saturday, August 21, 2010

Advice for a high school cheerleader sponsor?

I just signed on to be the cheerleader sponsor for next year. I teach at a high school in Texas. I've never cheered and I know I basically just need to be the ';adult'; in charge when they go places. But does anyone have advice that may have been overlooked by the principal? Like how to deal with parents or how to deal with discipline (I like a demerit system, but don't know how to make it work). Thanks!Advice for a high school cheerleader sponsor?
You need to attend a coaching workshop, one specifically for cheer leading. You might want to talk to coaches from the other schools and see what they do or if they have any training. Get the training information from them.


If you like the demerit system- use it, major infractions can be address by benching or suspension or the girl being kick off the team (drinking, drugs, discipline problems). Reason being, they represent the school and their behavior should be a mentoring type to other students.





Best Wishes


BlessingsAdvice for a high school cheerleader sponsor?
I would NOT reccomend the demerit system. That is babyish. The easiest way for disipline in cheerleading is making them RUN. For example 5 laps for chewing gum in practice. If it's something more extreme like drinking alcohol then they should sit out 2 games. This is called getting benched. I don't think you'll deal much with parents really. The girls are old enough to take care of themselves. I would suggest having the girls take a tumbling class together at a local gymnastics gym (improves skills in cheerleading) and sending them to a cheer camp during the summer. Have fundraisers like car washes, host cheer clinics for little girls, cow patty drops, and sell items like cookie dough. Always make sure your girls are using mats during practice for stunting and if they drop the flyer in the stunt (if she hits the ground) then make them run.





CHEER WORK-OUT





Work-out for 5 days a week





Monday, Wednesday and Friday (Strengthening and Power)





Tuesday/Thursday (Endurance and Aerobics)
Hey, I know this isn't answer to your question but I just wanna say I tried emailing you and for some reason it says I reached my daily limit, even though I haven't messaged anyone at all today. I will keep trying, just want you to know I didn't ignore your email.
Melissa H, Only the students really know for sure. http://www.onlinehighschoolreviews.com/T鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment