Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Need some good advice on what to do about my kitten?

I bought my little Persian kitten from a breeder close to where I live. Anyhow, ever since I've had him(about 4 weeks) he's been plagued with problems. First it was an eye infection, now he is on 2 medications for diareah. Just wondering if I bought a sick kitten or should I tell the breeder from where I purchased him from.Need some good advice on what to do about my kitten?
Sounds like the breeder has sick cats. they should pay for the medicine or you may be able to return it. I know that sounds terrible, but think of the future and the vet bills.Need some good advice on what to do about my kitten?
Sounds like you just got a sick kitten. It has happend to me once before.
pure breeds tend to have more medical issues and Persians tend to have eye and respiratory issues. you can tell the breeder to make sure that other cats and kittens there are healthy. I hope you aren't going to give the kitten back. I hate it when people bring animals to shelters that are sick after they bring them home.
You probably should talk to the breeder so he is aware of the problem because it may be in the genes or something. I would suggest financially that you take out some kind of pet insurance to help pay for future medical bills.
Buying from breeders are not always the best bet. If you looked into it they should have let you meet the mother and father of the kitten. If the father was not there they should have papers on him. If breeders keep a lot of cats in a close space they can get sick easy. It sounds like you are trying to take care of the kitty with a vet. The diarrhea sounds bad in a young one. The vet should have him on Albon liquid taken orally. The doseage is up to vet but it should work quickly, a few days. Ask the local vet if the breeder has had problems before. Good luck.
The diahrrea is probably from being scared in a new place and mostly from a change in diet. Switching types of food or brands can really upset an animals digestion for awhile. The eye thing could be something the other cats had. I would call the breeder and ask if the animals had any problems before you got her.
talk to the breeder. this is often genetic. did you check out the parents before purchasing the kitten? purebreds often have probblems.
You should at least contact them and let them know what's going on. Maybe another kitten had a similar problem and was treated by different meds or whatever. When I adopted my purebred Bengal, he was actually a rescue, I called the breeder and discussed some of his issues. He got a parasite from the home before mine and brought it over. She gave advise. The breeder was very helpful. Good luck with kitty!
You should always contact the breeder *not only because they may help with the medical bills, but also because the other kittens from the litter may have the same symptoms, and the breeder should know*
Has the vet told you the problem... I've had a few kittens end up with distemper. Distemper is a serious illness in cats. It kills 75% of all kittens.





If this is your case then you need to definately tell the person you bought the kitten from because it's extremly contagious. also if your kitten has diarreah and isn't eatting well you need to go to the vet and get a tube of the food supplements they have. I've had 5 kittens altogether come down with it. and all have made it through. My vet says i'm extremely lucky but I chock it up to love. :)





Anyhow when you get the food supplement ask for the feeding syringes (They don't have needles) then force the stuff down the kitten. The first 4 kittens i had that got it, it took me over 6 months to clear em all up. I didn't use the food stuff the 5 kitten i used it and it was healthy in 2 or 3 weeks.





i live by it now.. Maybe you should go get it anyhow just so you can make sure your baby has the proper vitamins and stuff it needs..
I agree with others that you should inform the breeder of the eye problem, but again, Persians tend to have eye problems. I've never seen a Persian that didn't have lots of eye discharge. My opinion is that their ';squished'; faces cause upper respiratory problems.





The diarrhea could be caused by stress and/or diet change. Did you change the diet quickly? Make sure you are feeding the kitten good quality meat-based food. No cheap dry food! Premium quality canned food is best,





The breeder should have already had him dewormed, but you could take a fecal sample to your vet to ensure the diarrhea is not caused by a parasite.
You should demand the breeder pay for the vet bills. But don't give the kitten back because it probably needs you to care for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment