Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Advice for someone moving to the Domincan Republic?

I am planning to move to the Dominican Republic (Santiago most likely) after I graduate in May (degrees in International Studies and Spanish). I am hoping to teach conversational english classes to business people traveling to the states. I was hoping someone from the D.R. could give me some advice regarding health insurance, apartments, cost of living, etc. Also, I am bringing my dog so if anyone knows regulations regarding traveling abroad with pets would be helpful. Thanks!Advice for someone moving to the Domincan Republic?
You should have no problem finding that kind of job in Santiago since they are always looking for teachers for that particular course (I was offered a job in the same thing when there on vacation visiting family and I hadn't even graduated college yet). Cost of living is relatively cheaper than it is here in the US. You can rent a decent apartment for about $200 a month. However, I have to say if you've never been there be prepared for a few things...rolling black outs are common everyday, so unless you have a generator be prepared to not have any electricity at least once a day for a couple of hours (sometimes as much as 3-4 hours). Same thing with water, although in Santiago it is very uncommon. The people are very friendly and easy going. Familiarize yourself with the culture and holidays (food and such...like they celebrate xmas, but there is more emphasis on Dia de los Reyes in January...most importly of all, baseball team in Santiago Las Aguilas...its a religion onto itself...).





To the person below, DR is not technically considered a third world country and in terms of crime rate its the same as everyelse, depends on the neighborhood you live in. I've find that health care there is better than the health care here. Most people I know will go for surgery in DR before they even consider going to a hospital in the states.





I would bring mosquito repellant, Brita water filter (with replacement filters), stuff that you can't live without (obviously). I go to DR on a regular basis to visit family and vacation and I love it there more than here.





As far as traveling with your dog, depends on the airline.





Contact the nearest embassy and see if they can provide you with more info...not knowing where you are from I can only say that there is one in New York and one in Paterson, NJ. They are very helpful and can help you further with any questions. Same thing when you arrive in DR. I believe there is an American embassy in Santiago but I'm not sure where it is.





Wish you the best of luck and I'm very jealous.....lol...but I will be there for New Years which is the BEST.





If you have anymore questions feel free to email me.Advice for someone moving to the Domincan Republic?
How old were you when you studied abroad
Squaremouth can provide insurance from US companies for as long as 5 years while you are out of the country. You could get this insurance to tide you over until you are able to get local insurance.





http://www.squaremouth.com/visitors-insu鈥?/a>





US Residents:


http://www.squaremouth.com





UK Residents:


http://www.squaremouth.co.uk
I think santo domingo has more chances for that type of work. Apartments can range from 1500 - 7000 DR peso per month.($50-$300 US) Many apartments are very low standard compared to US. Keep in mind that wages are a fraction of US. Health care is two tiered, free hospitals and pay hospitals. Health insurance is very uncommon. If you are wealthy enough you go to the better pay hospitals. Have you been to DR? In some ways it is almost third world conditions. Some airlines will transport dogs in pet cages.
1 thing u need ta check fo der is tha crime but othr thn tht its a good fun place ta liv in i go ther every year n i am dominican

No comments:

Post a Comment